<EJB Exception in method: ejbPostCreate: java.sql.SQLException: XA error: XAResource.XAER_RMFAIL start() failed on resource 'ggds-datasource_domain': XAER_RMFAIL : Resource manager is unavailable

Some incidents that we face are expected. Usually we wait for problems when something changes in an environment.
But, some times, for no apparent reason, with no systemic alteration, we encounter errors where our first reaction is: what a f ***!?

This time we find a java exception in a standard domain for GoldenGate Director;

For months the application behaved stable and functional, until it did fails for no apparent reason;

When I saw part of the exception, “XAER_RMFAIL: Resource manager is unavailable” went straight to talk to one of the best DBAs know that Matheus Boesing, to request a check on the resource manager database, (No problem found).

… then we fall back into a BUG: 11672297 Bug: ORA-01092 MAPPED TO XAER_RMERR instead of XAER_RMFAIL – (Doc ID 1329800.1)

In version 12.1, this bug is fixed, but as a palliative solution can do the following:

Increase the value (Maximum Duration of XA Calls) in JTA configurations of weblogic domain, the default value is 12000, in my case, I adjusted to 48000;

The problem was solved, at least for now.
Dieison.
 

OGG-0352: Invalid character for character set UTF-8 was found while performing character validation of source column

Almost a month without post!
My bad, december is always a crazy time to DBAs, right?

This post’s title error happens because the charset is different between databases used on replication thought GoldenGate and occurs only with alphanumerical columns (CHAR, VARCHAR, VARCHAR2), because, even the char length be the same, the data length will be different (like I explained here). Take a look in this example:

sourcedb> select table_name,column_name,data_length,char_length from dba_tab_cols where column_name=’NAME' order by 1,2,3;
 
TABLE_NAME    COLUMN_NAME     DATA_LENGTH CHAR_LENGTH
------------- --------------- ----------- -----------
TABLE_EXAMPLE NAME            25          25
destdb> select table_name,column_name,data_length,char_length from dba_tab_cols where column_name=’NAME' order by 1,2,3;

TABLE_NAME  COLUMN_NAME     DATA_LENGTH CHAR_LENGTH
------------- --------------- ----------- -----------
TABLE_EXAMPLE NAME            100         25

 

There is basically two solutions:
1) Change one of those charsets.
2) Add “SOURCECHARSET PASSTHRU” clause on the replicat file.

I usually prefer the second option, just because it’s less intrusive than number 1.

 

See ya!
Matheus.